Description/ Tasting NotesSoft and perfumy style, with pretty mulled spice and mesquite shadings the to damson plum and raspberry coulis notes. Subtle persistence on the finish.
Winery Info/ Brand
Chateau L’Eglise Clinet has a long history in the Pomerol appellation of Bordeaux. It dates all the way back to 1803, when Jean Rouchut purchased some of the vineyard land that later became L’Eglise Clinet. The first section of vineyard land is located close to where the winery sits today, adjacent to the cemetery. The next step in the development of the estate came in 1882, when the family purchased vineyard land from the Constant family, the owners of the neighboring property, Domaine de Clinet. That additional land marked the official creation of Clos L’Eglise-Clinet. At that point in time, two families agreed to join together and form a partnership to produce Bordeaux wine together. The families were Mauleon Rouchut of Clos l’Eglise and the Constant family, the owners of what later became Chateau Clinet joined forces. From that point forward, until the 1950’s, their Bordeaux wine was sold under the name Clos L’Eglise-Clinet. 1954 was the official year where the wine was labeled Clos l’Eglise -Clinet. Although some negociants continued bottling and labeling the wine using that designation until 1962. The 1955 vintage was the first vintage to be sold using the name Chateau l’Eglise Clinet. Even though the name has changed over the years, contrary to popular belief, the grape source used for the production of L’Eglise Clinet has been consistent since 1914.
Region Info/ Origin
The Vieux Château Certan estate is located in the heart of the Pomerol plateau just a few rows of vines away from Pomerol's famous church belfry. The vines are planted on the famed gunz terrace is recognised as one of the greatest wine-growing terroirs of the Bordeaux area. The soils are made up of large, round pebbles together with different clays over an iron-rich subsoil that gives Vieux Château Certan a distinctive character.